Leading engineering teams for new managers (crash course)
Inspire, motivate, and grow your team. Become an effective engineering manager and leader.
There is strong demand for capable software engineering leaders everywhere from small start up companies to large scale well-established firms. And most of them not only want managers to meet and deliver outcomes, they want a leader who has the right set of skills to create a healthy team environment that enables growth and longevity.
Many assume leadership skills are innate. This is not true. Leadership consists of established best practices that can be learned by all.
This workshop will prepare you to lead with empathy and confidence, with the application of everyday leadership. You will learn a set of tools to put your new knowledge into practice immediately.
This workshop is most suited to new, current, and prospective engineering managers and team leads. If you have been managing for less than a couple of years, have a yearning to continuously improve, want to lead your team to the next level of effectiveness, contribute, and learn from like-minded people, this workshop is for you!
The workshop will have less than ten people so we can really explore the material. Through a series of presentations, group discussions, and scenario-based sessions, you will work with others, share experiences, and learn together.
Like all our events, this workshop is covered by our code of conduct and joining us assumes your agreement to be bound by the code.
Getting to know you
Before the workshop, we will schedule 30 minutes to learn more about you, your organisation, and your team. We will also add you to a Slack to get to know the other attendees, and for us to announce any updates or answer any of your questions.
- Your leadership style
- Growing team culture
- Define what success in the role looks like for you
- Asynchronous work and remote teams
- Giving feedback
- Practice difficult conversations and confrontations
- Learn a framework for collaboratively solving problems
- Mentoring, coaching and sponsoring: how to help people become high performers
- Effective 1-on-1s to maximise people’s feeling of certainty, progress, inclusion, growth, and engagement.
- Productivity, prioritisation, and how to move things forward
- Balancing speed, quality and technical debt
We will schedule a group check-in with you 4–6 weeks later to see how you have been, and answer any questions or concerns you may have after practicing these new skills for a little while.
- 9.30–11.30am, December 14–17
- A 30-minute individual chat
- A two-hour session each day
- A follow up Q&A group chat
- $1,600 AUD plus GST
- No longer available, but you can register interest in future dates
Join us, because thoughtful engineering practices lead to quality, stability, and effectiveness.