Your thought partner in nurturing a healthy culture that is adaptive to change, resilient, and ready to grow.
With the ever changing environment of emerging technology, digital transformation, and the pandemic, companies are taking a step back and revisiting everything they do. From internal systems and processes, team culture and engagement, to leadership and customer interactions, both online and in person.
We bring decades of experience in the software engineering industry to understand the source and depth of your problem, and turn them into opporunities for growth.
Based on your company’s maturity, structure, business goals, and needs, we will support you to lead your company through the challenges, and equip your business with the tools to adapt and evolve, sustainably.
We work with you to understand your context and customise approaches for your organisational goals and business needs. We tailor our advice to help you define and evolve a thriving organisational and team culture that works for you.
Our bespoke consulting services include:
- Advise executives and coach technical leaders
- Refine and clarify business vision and values
- Streamline and improve product delivery cycles
- Implement career progression frameworks
- Review and revamp hiring processes and language around job descriptions
- Scale teams and formalise team structures
- Calibrate performance management
- Implement metrics for improvement
- Establish product support processes
- Define teams’ and organisational structures
- Improve communication and information flow between teams, business units, and interested stakeholders
- Review and standardise engineering team remuneration
Our work methodology
We pursue a thorough methodology, including some or all of the following stages:
the discovery stage ensures we have a solid understanding
of the underlying problem.
We explore and challenge your assumptions,
discover the questions you should be asking,
and gather relevant data.
This phase involves in-depth interviews with necessary stakeholders,
and the review of associated and relevant organisational documentation.
We typically propose the following Discovery activities:
- We ask questions to ascertain your software engineering philosophy.
- We consider your organisational goals and understand these by meeting with stakeholders — usually executives and any other key people.
- We examine your current processes by meeting with appropriate team members to cover off all relevant processes, and by reviewing existing process documentation.
- Define: identify and define the real problem by analysing data, and reviewing findings. We detail the gap between current and aspirational states. We review and synthesise all the information presented to us during discovery, and then consolidate information to build a more complete picture.
- Develop: together with you, we brainstorm ideas, and explore a number of possible solutions to the issues at hand. Collaboratively, we identify how to bridge the identified gap, what is missing, and how to approach the solution.
- Deliver: we either implement the solution with you or provide advice on how to implement it by yourself.
- Check: measure and review results to confirm or invalidate our assumptions and selected solution.
- Adjust: we aim to learn something from everything we do, draw conclusions, thoughtfully iterate on our implementation, and standardise practices to prevent the problem from recurring.
We have consulted with both small and established companies to drive long lasting changes that have positively impacted their organisational culture and bottom line.
Contact us for a no obligation chat to see how we can help you.
As a small company with a growing customer base, it was clear that our approach to customer support could be more consistent for our customers, and less onerous for our product development team. The value that Blackmill were able to provide was their insight into how similar businesses operate so that we didn't need to reinvent the wheel. With their help we developed a triage-based support process where tickets are distributed to appropriate skillsets, rather than overloading the development team. The process is a simple one that works for our current scale, but can also be adapted as we grow.Lisa Mayo , Customer Success Manager at Biarri Networks